Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Breastfeeding

Carter breastfeeding at 2 months old

This weekend (Saturday October 11, 2008) is the Quintessence Breastfeeding Challenge a world wide event that brings Mom's and Babies together to simultaneously nurse. This fun event is a challenge for which geographic area ( province, state or territory) has the most breastfeeding babies, as a percentage of the birthrate, “latched on.” at 11am local time. This event is to celebrate breastfeeding and demonstrate promotion, protection and support for breastfeeding women and their families. It’s a chance for education and peer support done in a fun social way.

Visit the Quintessence Foundation site to find your local challenge or to learn more about this wonderful event.

In honor of this event, my posts this week will be related to breastfeeding.

This is a topic that I am passionate about. When I think about my breastfeeding experience I am comforted by knowing that I did what is best for my child, I am proud at myself for pushing through the road blocks that I faced, I become nostalgic when I think of the peaceful, sweet moments I spent feeding my boys and I am sad that it is over. I always knew that I would be a mother, it was just something I always felt. I also never had any hesitation about how I would feed my children as infants - breastfeeding is the best. What I didn't know was that I would face many struggles along the way. In the end those struggles and continuing to breastfeed despite them, made my experience even richer.

In 2007 I attended the Victoria Baby Fair, at which a booth called Cafe Au Lait was set up encouraging mothers to share their unique breastfeeding experience with others. Here is my breastfeeding experience with my youngest child.

No comments: